Thursday, January 13, 2011

What is the Reality?

As I sit to write this post, I am noticing the thought that I have got to be crazy to take the time for this right now. I have a million things to do.  A yoga studio to manage, a teacher training program to lead, a "living Yoga" wellness program to prepare for teaching, a retreat that needs to be marketed or else I won't be able to cover the contract minimum with the retreat center, laundry, dishes, phone calls, a husband I'd love to see, a daughter I'd love to play with and a second yoga studio opening- this weekend.... "Why should I possibly take the time to write a blog post????" Next, I hear the familiar question in my mind. What would this moment be like and what would I be like in this moment without these thoughts?- Without this whole story of my busy life, in fact? 

And then I notice that despite all I have to do,  without the thought that I have a million things to do,  I am  just sitting. Writing.  I am fully supported by a comfortable chair in a heated house with a laptop at my fingertips. I am content. I have everything I need, and then some, to do exactly what I am apparently choosing to do right now.  For a moment,  I experience a deep sense of peace. I acknowledge that the story in my mind IS there, but that's all it is. And when I kindly thank my thoughts for sharing, for doing what my mind believes must be done in order to motivate and support me, it is easier not to get sucked into the story.  The truth is, I cannot control my own thoughts any more than I can control anyone else's. Though in spiritual practice we may hear that we are learning to control our mind, I don't actually believe this to be true. I believe that when we allow our mind to be as it is, our mind and thoughts stop fighting for control. Then there is peace. 

Does this realization mean that I will let everything else slide and forgo my other commitments and responsibilities because it is all just a "story"? No. But it is a reminder that I will always loose against an argument with reality. If the reality is that I am sitting to write in this moment, it is futile to attach to the thought that says I shouldn't be doing it. The reality is, I am. Until I'm not.



So how often do your thoughts argue with reality? Who would you be in those moments without those thoughts? Don't try and change the thoughts.  Can you just look with curiosity?

I wish you a peaceful day, or at least a few peaceful moments. If this process was interesting to you, know that it was a brief glimpse into The Work of Byron Katie. Learn more at www.thework.com


Namaste,
Cori

1 comment:

  1. Cori, this post is so interesting to me. I have been mediating for 15 minutes twice a day for more than two weeks. I have noticed that I can boil down my thoughts into categories: to do's and reflections/projections. When I say to do's I mean all thoughts around, I need to do, I should do, I have to do, I want to do etc. As for the reflections/projections these thoughts tend to be replayed memories or a projected vision of what I think will take place in future conversations or reactions.

    So I guess my point is, we can focus on the to do's or we can be present in whatever venture is currently happening....

    Thank you for sharing your insight and wisdom.

    ReplyDelete